Tuesday, January 1, 2008

04 - Montaigne on Self-Esteem - Philosophy: A Guide to Happiness



My view


An interesting antidote filled short presentation

The part when he questions his proctor at oxford didn't work, for me. I see how he strives to say the working class is often more wise than the intellectual class. I wondered why he didn't during that section mention Montaigne's essay on education.

I loved the brief tour of his house- the sayings etched on the cross beams of his study.



Video descriprion:

This six part series on philosophy is presented by popular British philosopher Alain de Botton, featuring six thinkers who have influenced ... all » history, and their ideas about the pursuit of the happy life.

Episode 4: Montaigne on Self-Esteem looks at the problem of self-esteem from the perspective of Michel de Montaigne (16th Century), the French philosopher who singled out three main reasons for feeling bad about oneself - sexual inadequecy, failure to live up to social norms, and intellectual inferiority - and then offered practical solutions for overcoming them. «

Oct 26, 2007 What a load of popularist tosh.
Botton should go back to school: because I can fart at dinner, I become a good human being?

No comments: